Online Teaching Squares
Faculty Stipend: $500 upon completion*
GTA Stipend: $220 upon completion*
Estimated Time Commitment: 10 hours
Summer Start: June 20-December 20, 2020
Fall Start: August 25-December 20, 2020. Enrollment closed on September 11, 2020.
Faculty participants join 3 other teaching colleagues to form a supportive, non-evaluative “teaching square,” to share inclusive teaching practices and learn from each other throughout the fall semester. Interested participants may propose their own four members, or may ask to be added to a Teaching Square. Based on their goals, Teaching Square members ultimately determine the activities they will collectively engage in to meet them.
Suggested activities, as determined within each Teaching Square:
- Provide feedback on each other’s online course structures and two weeks’ of course material;
- Provide online course peer reviews (for ideas, see example provided);
- Offer ongoing support to members of the teaching squares; and
- Celebrate successes, share course materials, teaching strategies and approaches.
Criteria for completion badge and stipend payment:
- Engage in a minimum of 10 hours of activity related to the Teaching Square, as determined by your group’s goals; and
- Submit a short reflection on your individual process by 12/20/20, to be reviewed by a CEETL Faculty Mentor.
Submissions are now closed for fall teaching squares. Check back for additional fall information or forthcoming spring offerings.
*Based on productive conversations with the Chancellor’s Office and California Faculty Association, the faculty stipend amounts for these CARES-2 funded faculty development activities have been finalized. All faculty teacing in Summer 2020 and AY 2020-2021 are eligible for this stipend while the funding remains. In the case of the Online Teaching Lab, the higher amount will be applied retroactively to past Online Teaching Lab graduates.