Opportunity to Participate in Humanizing STEM Academy
CEETL invites STEM faculty to participate in the Foothill-DeAnza Community College District, with support from the California Education Learning Lab, Humanizing Online STEM Academy and research study that intends to understand how the Academy may benefit online instructors and students.
The Humanizing Online STEM Academy is a 6-week online professional development program that will be delivered asynchronously in Canvas. The Academy is conceived of as a catalyst for pedagogical innovation in STEM with the aim of eliminating equity gaps and improving the percentage of racially and ethnically minoritized STEM graduates.
The application deadline for priority consideration is March 8, 2021. To learn more and submit an application to participate in this professional development grant opportunity, visit the Humanizing Online STEM Academy website.
Visit the How to Apply page for the application materials and to submit an application.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does the Academy cost?
There is no fee for participating in the Humanizing Online Stem Academy.
How will I be compensated for completing the Academy?
Participants who successfully complete the 6-week Humanizing Academy and related follow-up tasks will receive an $1,800 stipend.
What is the time commitment?
- Participate in the Humanizing Online STEM Academy, a 6-week online professional development program, in Summer 2021, which will require about 10 hours of time each week;
- Implement humanizing elements and culturally responsive pedagogy into their online course before the start of Fall 2021 term; and
- Participate in a research study that will examine the impact of humanizing on teaching practices and student performance.
Who can participate in the Humanizing Online STEM Academy
STEM faculty who have taught an online undergraduate "gateway" course. Fully asynchronous online courses will be given priority but we are accepting applications from faculty teaching online courses with synchronous (live) elements.
Each team of five participants will consist of four STEM faculty who have taught an online undergraduate “gateway” course at least once from start to finish and one faculty developer/faculty support specialist/instructional designer.
When will the Humanizing Online STEM Academy take place?
There will be two cohorts of the 6-week Academy in Summer 2021:
- Cohort 1: May 24 - July 4
- Cohort 2: July 5 - August 15
Where can I find more information and resources?
- Visit the Humanizing Online STEM Academy website for more information.
- View the archive of the Academy Information Session.
- Humanizing Online STEM Academy FAQ