What is Online Teaching Squares?
Faculty participants join three other teaching colleagues to form a supportive, non-evaluative “teaching square,” to share inclusive teaching practices and learn from each other throughout the semester. Interested participants may propose their own four members, or may ask to be added to a Teaching Square. Based on their goals, Teaching Square members ultimately determine the activities they will collectively engage in to meet them.
Suggested activities, as determined within each Teaching Square:
- Provide feedback on each other’s online course structures and two weeks’ of course material.
- Provide online course peer reviews (for ideas, see the example provided).
- Offer ongoing support to members of the teaching squares.
- Celebrate successes, share course materials, teaching strategies and approaches.
Criteria for completion badge and stipend payment:
- Engage in a minimum of 10 hours of activity related to the Teaching Square, as determined by your group’s goals.
- Submit a short reflection on your individual process by December 12, 2020, to be reviewed by a CEETL Faculty Mentor.
Submissions are now closed for fall teaching squares. Please check back here for new dates! Plus, CEETL is currently offering the Spring 2021 Student Success Graduation Initiative (SSGI) Teaching Squares. For more info on the SSGI Teaching Squares, click here.
*Based on productive conversations with the Chancellor’s Office and California Faculty Association (CFA), the faculty stipend amounts for these CARES-2 funded faculty development activities have been finalized. All faculty teaching in Summer 2020 and AY 2020-2021 are eligible for this stipend while the funding remains. In the case of the Online Teaching Lab, the higher amount will be applied retroactively to past Online Teaching Lab graduates.
When is the course offered and how can I register?
- Faculty Stipend: $500 (pre-tax) upon completion*
- GTA Stipend: $220 (pre-tax) upon completion*
- Estimated Time Commitment: ten hours
- Summer Start: June 20 - December 20, 2020
- Fall Start: August 25 - December 20, 2020
- Enrollment closed: September 11, 2020
Enrollment is closed at this time.
CEETL facilitates and fosters reflective teaching and learning communities throughout the academic year.
Learn more and register for each QLT PIE Slice courses
What is the Online Teaching Lab?
The Online Teaching Lab (OTL) is a fully asynchronous, completely self-paced online course about online teaching. Our community norms emphasize curiosity, kindness and compassion with oneself and with each other as we navigate together this unusual time in history.
What is JEDI PIE?
The JEDI PIE Institute builds a community of JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) protagonists through 25 hours of practice of developing anti-racist pedagogy and dismantling white supremacy in online teaching.
What is the JEDI Writing PIE Institute?
The Writing PIE Institute is a fully asynchronous, completely self-paced online course about teaching writing based on pedagogies for inclusive excellence.
What is Online Teaching Squares?
Faculty participants join three other teaching colleagues to form a supportive, non-evaluative “teaching square,” to share inclusive teaching practices and learn from each other throughout the fall semester.
Spring 2021 SSGI Teaching Squares
CEETL invites registration for the Spring 2021 Student Success Graduation Initiative (SSGI) Teaching Squares. As we enter the third semester of remote instruction, these teaching squares will provide a supportive, peer-based environment for faculty members to reflect upon their course design and teaching effectiveness to improve student course completion rates, eliminate equity gaps and promote timely progress to degree.
What is Reflective Teaching Portfolio?
This workshop is created to develop your teaching ePortfolio.