What is the JEDI Writing PIE Institute?
The Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (JEDI) Writing Pedagogies for Inclusive Excellence (PIE) Institute is a fully asynchronous, completely self-paced online course about teaching writing based on pedagogies for inclusive excellence. This institute is designed especially for faculty who teach writing across the curriculum and in their disciplines and provides a range of equitable, inclusive and anti-racist online teaching resources and strategies.
This 25-hour, asynchronous, fully online course centers the act of teaching writing within justice, equity, diversity and inclusion (JEDI) principles and is the result of deep collaborations between the faculty developers who have created the Writing Across the Curriculum / Writing Across the Disciplines (WAC/WID) curriculum, the Online Teaching Lab and the JEDI (justice, equity, diversity and inclusion) PIE (Pedagogies for Inclusive Excellence) courses.
In the JEDI Writing PIE, participants will:
- Participate in a course designed for interaction, not content delivery.
- Create authentic products to use in their own courses.
- Reflect on their learning in community with their faculty peers.
- Receive feedback from JEDI Writing PIE faculty mentors.
Participants will explore modules focusing on the following topics:
- Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion in Writing Pedagogy.
- Teaching Writing in the Disciplines.
- Assignment Design and Scaffolding.
- Scaffolding Research Skills to Build Information Literacy and Critical Thinking Skills.
- Peer Response to Student Writing.
- Instructor Response to Student Writing.
- You may access a comprehensive list of JEDI Writing PIE learning outcomes here.
How Can I Enroll in the JEDI Writing PIE Institute
If you have already participated in the GWAR Mentoring Program or an in-person Writing PIE Institute, you are still eligible to complete this Institute. However, be sure to self-enroll in the new iLearn site. There’s nothing you need to do and no one you need to notify. Note, you can self-enroll anytime, but be sure to complete all the requirements by March 5, 2021, in order to receive the stipend and badge. If you only want the badge, you can complete the requirements at your own pace.
When is the course offered and how can I register?
- Faculty Stipend: $1,250 (pre-tax) upon completion
- GTA Stipends: $550 (pre-tax) upon completion
- Session: Self-Paced (25 hours)
- Join anytime but just be sure to complete all the requirements by March 5, 2021, in order to receive the stipend and badge. If you only want the badge, you can complete the requirements at your own pace.
Learn more and register for each QLT PIE Slice courses:
What is the Online Teaching Lab?
The Online Teaching Lab (OTL) is a fully asynchronous, completely self-paced online course about online teaching. Our community norms emphasize curiosity, kindness and compassion with oneself and with each other as we navigate together this unusual time in history.
What is JEDI PIE?
The JEDI PIE Institute builds a community of JEDI (Justice, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion) protagonists through 25 hours of practice of developing anti-racist pedagogy and dismantling white supremacy in online teaching.
What is the JEDI Writing PIE Institute?
The Writing PIE Institute is a fully asynchronous, completely self-paced online course about teaching writing based on pedagogies for inclusive excellence.
What is Online Teaching Squares?
Faculty participants join three other teaching colleagues to form a supportive, non-evaluative “teaching square,” to share inclusive teaching practices and learn from each other throughout the fall semester.
Spring 2021 SSGI Teaching Squares
CEETL invites registration for the Spring 2021 Student Success Graduation Initiative (SSGI) Teaching Squares. As we enter the third semester of remote instruction, these teaching squares will provide a supportive, peer-based environment for faculty members to reflect upon their course design and teaching effectiveness to improve student course completion rates, eliminate equity gaps and promote timely progress to degree.
What is Reflective Teaching Portfolio?
This workshop is created to develop your teaching ePortfolio.