The Center for Equity and Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CEETL) invites all faculty to join the upcoming fully online, asynchronous course called Teaching New & Newly Returning Students (TNRS), which offers resources, teaching strategies and collegial discussions to support the persistence and academic success of all students.
With the understanding that fall 2021 will see our first-year, second-year and transfer students coming to campus for the first time, and our remaining students returning after an extended period of remote instruction, participants will develop and expand strategies to:
- Promote feelings of inclusion, belonging and community in academic settings;
- Recognize and respond to the lived experience of the faculty, students and staff;
- Facilitate learning and positive academic identity development; and
- Apply pedagogies of care to support ongoing health and wellness.
This course builds upon key components from the CEETL First Year Pedagogies for Inclusive Excellence (FY PIE) institute offered pre-pandemic, but has been redesigned and updated to reflect the changing local and global context.
When is the course offered and how can I register?
- Faculty Stipend: $1250 (pre-tax) upon completion
- GTA Stipends: $550 (pre-tax) upon completion
- Estimated Time Commitment: 20-25 hours
- Session: Session: August 2 - November 15. This course is self-paced so you may enroll/engage anytime during this date range; just be sure to complete by November 15, 2021.
- All stipends for CEETL course completions by eligible participants are processed through payroll and are subject to tax, so the final amount and timing for stipend payments may vary according to individual tax rates and employment status with the university. To monitor incoming payments, we recommend you turn on your bank notifications to get alerts on your accounts. All members of the SF State teaching community are welcome to engage in and complete CEETL faculty development courses for a certificate, but due to CSU policy the following appointments will not be eligible to receive a stipend: MPPs, Staff, FERP faculty, and individuals not actively employed at SF State.
Learn more and register for a FY PIE Slice courses:
What is FY PIE Institute (Two-day)
FY PIE is a two-day institute offered in cohorts that focuses on supporting student success, persistence, and feelings of inclusion and belonging.
What is Equitable Teaching Series
CEETL's Equitable Teaching Series explores foundational teaching approaches that foster equity and inclusivity in support of student success.
What is a Teaching & Learning Community Leads?
TLCs are reflective teaching and learning communities of 8-12 individuals that foster reflective teaching practice and, based on the preference of the group, can take either a practical or theoretical approach.
What is Reflective Teaching Portfolio?
This workshop is created to develop your teaching ePortfolio.