CEETL is committed to the daily actions of unity that supports justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion. We welcome persons of all races, ethnicities, religions, colors, ancestries, ages, disabilities, genetic information statuses, genders, gender identities, gender expressions, marital statuses, medical conditions, national origins, sexes, sexual orientations, covered veteran statuses, formerly incarcerated statuses, or any other protected statuses.
Call for CEETL Faculty Directors is Now Closed
The Division of Faculty Affairs and Professional Development calls for applications and nominations to build a team of four Faculty Directors within the Center for Equity & Excellence in Teaching & Learning (CEETL). All lecturer faculty and tenured/tenure track faculty with three years teaching experience at SF State are welcome to apply.
CEETL is the heart of the University’s commitment to a culture that values and rewards teaching, supports diversity among learners and promotes learning environments that foster social justice and the respectful and vigorous exchange of ideas in which students and faculty thrive and succeed.
Each Faculty Director work collaboratively within a team of CEETL Faculty Directors, staff and administrators to support and uphold the CEETL mission, and will focus on one of the following areas of specialization:
- Writing & Reading Across the Curriculum (WRAC)
- Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (JEDI)
- Multimodal Excellence in Teaching & Learning (METL)
- Student Learning Assessment (SLA)
Frequently Asked Questions
Faculty Director Specialized Responsibilities
Four Faculty Directors will be selected, one for each of these specialized roles:
- Faculty Director for Writing & Reading Across the Curriculum (WAC): supports student academic success through the development of 21st century critical reading and writing skills across and within the disciplines;
- Faculty Director for Justice, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (JEDI): supports student development of positive academic identities and persistence through the use of inclusive and anti-racist pedagogies and practices;
- Faculty Director for Multimodal Excellence in Teaching & Learning (METL): supports student course completion and achievement of learning outcomes across all learning modes through the application of evidence-based, data-informed course design and teaching practices;
- Faculty Director for Student Learning Assessment (SLA): supports authentic, meaningful and equitable student learning assessment practices, with a focus on core competency assessment.
Faculty Director Shared Responsibilities
All CEETL Faculty Director positions share these responsibilities in support of the CEETL mission:
- Grow a campus-wide community of practice committed to life-long learning about equity and excellence in teaching and learning through reflective practice;
- Consult and partner with departments, colleges and community members, and serve on SF State working groups and committees;
- Investigate the impact of CEETL programs and services on student success, measured by campus progress towards eliminating the equity gap, increasing course completions, and promoting student persistence and timely progress to degree;
- Positively contribute within a collaborative and collegial CEETL leadership team, composed of CEETL Faculty Directors and staff, to honor and leverage the disciplinary expertise and lived experience of every team member.
- Who: All qualified individuals with a lecturer faculty or T/TT appointment and at least three years of teaching experience at SF State, whether lecturer faculty, tenure‐track or tenured, are encouraged to apply.
- Where: This team of CEETL Faculty Directors will report to the Assistant Vice President for Teaching and Learning and reside within the Center for Equity and Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CEETL).
- Compensation: The successful candidates will receive a two-year appointment that carries a workload reassignment equivalent to two courses per semester, for a total of eight courses over the two year period, with possibility for renewal.
- Term: The Faculty Director for Writing & Reading Across the Curriculum (WRAC) will begin as early as January, 2022. The other CEETL Faculty Director positions will begin August 2022 at the latest, though interim workload reassignments and/or stipends may be available upon selection in Spring 2022.
- A faculty appointment and at least three years of teaching experience at SF State, whether tenured, tenure‐track, or lecturer faculty;
- Demonstrated understanding of the theory and practical application of the relevant specialized subject matter expertise for the desired position (e.g. Equity and Inclusion; Reading and Writing; Multimodal Course Design; Student Learning Assessment) in a higher education environment;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, strong organizational and project management skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently under general direction and work collaboratively with faculty and staff;
- Propensity towards collaboration, teamwork, active listening and positive leadership, with a commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice; and
- (Preferred) Experience in the development and implementation of successful faculty development programming in higher education.
Applications were submitted via a Qualtrics form that included the following in a combined PDF file:
- Current Curriculum Vitae (no more than 5 pages)
- Letter of Interest (max 500 words) that describes your commitment to equitable and inclusive teaching, and identifies the unique skills, experiences, and expertise you would bring to the Faculty Director position(s) for which you would like to be considered.
- Contact information for three references (e.g., faculty, staff, or administrators) who can speak to your disciplinary expertise, commitment to diversity and inclusion, communication and mentorship skills (include names, titles, affiliations, telephone numbers, and email addresses).
- An email/message from the department chair and college dean confirming support. This message of support can also be emailed to email@example.com.